Post-Workout Lessons

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

In April, I started the 60-day Insanity challenge to help me get into shape for summer. The program really helped me get toned up and slimmed down. I lost a total of 3 pounds during the first half of this program, on top of my already 10-pound loss before my wedding. During the program, I felt that I wasn't losing the weight as effectively as I should be. I felt like I hit a plateau - my pants seemed to still fit somewhat the same as they did before, and I wasn't seeing much change on the scale. I was eating healthy, eating regularly as the program nutrition plan suggested, and working out. However, I was not losing any weight during the second month. That all changed about two weeks after I ended the program. I started jogging around the block and noticed that I had lost another 7 pounds within a week of jogging! I think I was at a plateau - I needed a change of pace to help me lose more weight. Insanity helped to build my muscles and tone me up, which I still have. However, changing it up and doing jogging after this high-intensity interval training program helped my body lose more weight.I am currently back at it with the Insanity program, trying to lose the 7 pounds I have left to be at my "happy" weight. And with the 5k run I have this weekend, my training sessions have helped to keep me on track.

During this entire weight-loss process, I have adopted a new way of eating and living. I no longer visit fast food chains, on occasion have a glass of pop, no longer house junk food in my cupboard, always cook at home using fresh fruits and veggies, and know how to schedule in workouts into my day. I am not a crazed count-every-single-calorie food addict, because I don't believe in living your life so restricted. Nor do I eat low-fat, calorie-wise, nutrient-filled packaged foods. Food should be about eating healthy and natural ingredients. No veggie is a "nutrient-filled", "low-fat", "low-calorie" veggie. When it comes to fresh produce, this shouldn't be a concern. I know there is no real benefit in eating the new veggie bread to get my daily dose of veggies. But instead  my body will get the nutrients from fresh ingredients that go into the home cooked meals that I make. I now truly follow the "everything in moderation" rule - it's what works for me. Can I have a cookie for a snack? Yes. But do I have a half-dozen in a day? No, and I probably don't even in a week. I have educated myself in healthy eating - not only for me but for my family. This was probably one of the most important lessons I have learned through this weight loss journey!

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the same journey congrats to you for your weightloss my friend. I eat everything vegan in moderation. Even though I bake a lot I only it a slice or two of each thing before I am ready to do something else. I think it's important not to deprive ourselves of anything but to not over indulge. I can't wait to hear more about your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...