Living Room Update: Lamp Revamp

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hello friends! Over the past two weeks, I have been doing some small projects to help improve our living room. If you recall from a post almost a year ago, I gave you all a look at my (boring) living room. When we first moved into our home, I thought it would be a cool idea to match the lamp shade, couch and pillows all the same colour as the wall (sorry for the poor quality of the picture!). I then tried to add colour to the room by making some decorative pillows. After more than a year living this way, I said enuff and took on some initiative to decorate this room.

I give you: subject A. A plain, lifeless looking lampshade that oftentimes camouflages itself with its surroundings. Sneaky sneaky Mr. Lampshade! This was my first object to tackle of this living room update.

Shopping around for some fabric, I decided to go with a brown-orange and turquoise look to the room. It matches perfectly with the painting we have in the living room.

I knew I wanted a "wow" factor design to the fabric for the lamp. When I laid my eyes on this Greek key pattern in burnt orange colour, I just knew it would match perfectly with the look I was aiming in the room. I quickly did a wee bit of a dance in the isle (I hope no one saw!) and took it home to start my project.

I went right to work! I took off that old lamp shade fabric while laughing hysterically thinking nice thoughts of what the lamp will turn out.

At first I thought about spraying on an adhesive to keep the fabric in tact. But then I thought a simple glue gun around the edges would do just fine. I would've taken a picture of the process, but my fingertips were burnt from the glue gun that I couldn't take pictures with tears in my eyes! Hence the rougher-than-expected edges. But hey, they are on the underside so no one will ever see!

I also folded down the edges to provide a nice clean line where the fabric ends. This will anyways be going to the back, but to make it look cleaner.

Ta-da! The new, hip and "wow" lampshade!

I am so happy with the turnout! It looks awesome and really brightens up this space!

Make sure to stop by Thursday to see my new pillows and how this space is coming along! Also, don't forget to visit The Best Blog Recipes tomorrow where I'll be sharing my crispy chicken and tabbouleh wrap recipe.

Where I link up my posts!

8 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job with that lamp shade. I am in the process of redoing my bathroom can't wait to show it off. Oh and I love the pattern you choose it really does pop. I need to redo my loving room but we need a new sofa badly. Can't wait to see what else you've done. Are you sewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charity! Can't wait to see your bathroom remodel! :)
      And yes I do sew. I will be posting my pillows that I made tomorrow so be sure to check it out!

      Delete
  2. New follower from Tell Us Tuesday. Love this post! Orange is my favorite color and who doesn't love a "new" lamp?! :)

    http://learningcreatingliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I always love getting "new" things from old ones I already have!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I have a lamp that needs a shade, but every one I find is the wrong color! I should give this a try :)

    Found you through the tell me tuesday link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes try it! I had the same issue, which is why I decided to re-do what I already had! Good luck finding the pattern fabric that you love :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...