Wishful Thinking

Friday, July 26, 2013

Do you all sometimes wish you had it all? A bigger home; more time; more money; more clothing; a better body; a car; go on more vacations? Recently I have been finding myself wishing for things that I know I cannot have right now due to other factors that I cannot control. And I think my wishful thinking (or complaints, as my hubby calls it) might be bugging others.

I might at times complain to a friend about buying a bigger house, not realizing that my friend who still lives with parents would want to have what I have. Other times, I might say I wish I had a permanent job instead of these contract jobs, but not realize that some of my friends don't even have jobs, or the fact that I should be happy that I have a job that pays the bills. However, we all complain about money and wish we all had more, so I guess that is something we cannot control :)

I guess in this society of “I want that”, we are all used to getting what we want. And it is all possible (for the most part). However we don't always realize the costs that are associated with that want. I want a bigger house with a bigger kitchen than the tiny space I have now. However, a bigger house will mean a bigger mortgage for us. And with my unsteady contract jobs, I cannot afford to lock myself into a risky situation. I can get a permanent job, but that would mean either moving away from our town or accepting a permanent position in a field I did not go to school for. These small costs that could change your future.

Before I began blogging, I have been reading many blogs. And while reading many of the “decor” type of blogs, I began wanting a bigger home, more money to decorate, more renovation projects to do, etc. Only after my husband started questioning my “unhappiness” and after a few months of reading these blogs have I realized the jealousy monster that was growing inside me. Instead of using their blogs as inspiration for my current home and what I have now, I began being jealous at the stuff they have and not being happy with all that we have.

It wasn’t until I got laid off this past year that I began to see just how much we have – having a house with no mortgage, a year old car totally paid off, no financial hardships to worry about, and a loving support system from both family and friends. These are the things that many people wish to have; however I have not seen what I have as being something others would want.

I have now learned from my mistakes this past year, and have learned to love everything I have! Yes, it’s not quite what I had planned my life to be at this stage in my life. But hey, these are the things that I cannot control and just need to learn to embrace all that is given to me! Yes, I still would like to have all those things, but with time! :) Right now, I am enjoying everything I do have and all that He has provided for me. This is where the verse from Ecclesiastes 3:1 comes to mind.

4 comments:

  1. This is lovely. You're right, we totally live in an "I want that" society and it impacts the best of us, but this is a really wonderful post and nice reminder for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes we all need that reminder of how blessed we truly are :)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with what you mean. A few years ago I found myself in a very unhappy place I wanted so much more than what I had. Then my husband was laid off from his job and all of a sudden all that we had was ripped away. I realized how I had so much and still did not appreciate it. God blessed us a little later with a nicer home, brand new car, a wonderful job for my husband that supported us both. And now we are blessed to be living in a tiny apartment in NYC. Sometimes I feel sadness because I miss my home in Florida and I miss my family and my friends. But then I think of how I always wanted to live in the City and God blessed me with the chance. It may not have been under the circumstances I would have wanted but its important to consider all that he has blessed me with now. Nothing has changed in Florida and all that we hold dear is still waiting there for us - but God is here now and I know he wants me to enjoy life with him. Anyhow I know this was a huge random comment. I said all this to say that you are not alone, but you are blessed because you have gain perspective to see how perfect your season of life is right now. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment! We are all blessed in some way or another, even if that is not how we planned our lives to be at the moment, He has a plan for us and we just have to go with His plan and be happy with all that He has provided us. Glad to hear you are doing well and happy with all your blessings :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...