New Window Curtains (And a Hemming Tutorial)

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

When we first moved to our new home, I didn't mind the curtains that were there. Yes, they were hideous, but I knew I would change them soon and so I never thought much of it. Little did I know, they were actually broken. Turning them to open up the blinds was nearly impossible unless I turned each individual ones while pulling on the string.


I honestly think these blinds were installed when the house was built, some 30 years ago. Our living room is small, and the window is pretty much the width of the room. Which is why I wanted to take time in searching for the right drapes. However, this search took almost two years. I finally found neutral coloured drapes that seem to work with the area and were inexpensive. This is our starter home, and since we will be moving on out of here in a couple years I didn't want to invest in anything major. Save up the money for the real deal, right?

We also bought sheer drapes a long time ago, when I first wanted to change the window curtains. But for some reason I did some wrong measurements so they were longer than the windows and thus needed some hemming. By this point I did not want to buy new sheer curtains and waste any more money than needed. Here is my quick how-to on hemming drapes. This was my first time and so I hemmed as I went along.

I first put up the sheer drapes to see how short they needed to be hemmed. I marked this length using some bobby pins by folding the bottom up. It actually fit perfectly along the already existing stitches. It was only a matter of folding up along the existing stitch line.

Using my sewing machine, I stitched width-wise. I made sure that the fold was facing the window, so it is not seen when the dark drapes are open.

And there you have it, (somewhat) nicely hemmed sheer window coverings.

And here are the new window coverings! I love them now since it allows so much more light to flow in and makes the room appear larger.

5 comments:

  1. Love those curtains! I have a sewing machine but need to get much better with using it before I try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I am not much of a sewer...but am learning as I go along! Before you know it you'll be a sewing pro!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jovana! Thanks for stopping by my blog, tobefabulous.com, and leaving your kind note!

    I'm always looking for bloggers to link up to, comment, and encourage, and knowing you are local makes that even better.

    Also, are you open to being hired to sew window treatments? Because our new apartment didn't come with a single blind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two years? Wow, that's a long search for a window coverings! Congratulations on finally finding the right drapes, then! Curtains would just be the right window treatment for you since you don't plan on staying for long; you could even bring them with you when you move out.

    → Roxie @ WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yeah I tend to procrastinate on some things (it was a casual two years of looking!). I might bring them with me, but since they were cheap and basic I think I'll leave them with the house

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...