Life As We Make It

Tuesday, April 16, 2013


It seems like we as a society are now "on a clock" basis than what we used to be. It seemed like people lived the "good life" back in the day when we used to converse with one another face-to-face (*gasp*, what no Facebook?!) and took time to enjoy our lives. The "good life" when we enjoyed each others company and lived a more slowed-down life. Our schedules are now packed with late-night meetings, inhaling fast food (because we don't have time to eat slow, nor to make a home-cooked meal), lacking sleep due to work deadlines, updating our Facebook status on how busy we are (how do we even find the time to update that?), oh and keeping up with the Kardashian's too. 

And this is how I was finding my life to be. During my graduate studies, I was always on the go - working, studying and sleeping was my daily routine. After completing my master's, I found myself working for a great company. I wasn't bogged with late-night meetings or tight schedules, but it seemed like my life was getting busy. And it got even more busier when I got engaged. I found my daily routine to be something like this: work, eat, plan for wedding, sleep. It was really a go-go-go type of lifestyle.

That is, until I got laid off early this year due to tight budget within the company. While I found myself cleaning and cooking every day (sometimes twice a day) to keep busy, after about the third day I realized how different life is when things are slowed down! I was used to the constant go-go-go lifestyle that this time off (that might have been much needed maybe?) was foreign to me. In all honesty, an uncertainty of when (and if) I will go back to work was scary. I started searching for new jobs, worrying about the unknown, and again being in the go-go-go state of mind. I saw this layoff as a negative event in my life. Instead, and I see this now, I should have looked at it in a positive way. A way of God telling me that I need to start taking better care of ME and enjoying my life before it is too late. I now have found a job and work every day, but I have since learned to take things as they come and slow down a bit. I no longer stress about how much I can fit into my day, take things as they come, and breathe a bit!

So friends, I will leave you with this very inspirational quote from one of my favourite people, Oprah.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that Oprah quote. She's so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the linkup- I love that last quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! That quote is so true!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...