Save Money - Buy in Bulk

Monday, March 18, 2013

I discussed ways to save on groceries in my post last week. I usually buy items in bulk when they are on sale and separate them into smaller portions. Especially when I find meat on sale. This week, there was chicken breast on sale in a larger pack. I tend to purchase meat when it is on sale, freeze it, and then defrost it when I need it. This way, I save money on meat when I want to make a meat dish and it saves me from having to go out shopping when I need meat. Which is why I wanted to share with you all on how I save money by purchasing in bulk.

I bought two packs of bone-in chicken breast that was on sale at my local supermarket.

I tend to separate the meat into freezer bags and not freeze the entire pack. This way, if I need one or two chicken breasts for a dish, I take out only one or two bags instead of defrosting the entire pack and re-freezing what is remaining.

Because this pack had bones, I separated the bones from the meat. I use the bones for other things like stews or soups - where I only need the flavour of the meat.

On freezer bags, I write down what the item is inside as well as the date of when I froze it. This helps me keep track of when the meat was bought and I can use older meat first. All about food rotation to keep freshness!

I place two chicken breasts in each bag, since I tend to use two chicken breasts per dish I make.

I also do the same procedure with other types of meat or ground meat. While fresh meat is always better, they are not always on sale. I always use up the meat within a couple months anyways, so it never sits in my freezer for a long period of time.

You can always buy in bulk and store the rest in your pantry or freezer with other items that come on sale as well. This is a great way to save on groceries while saving some time from having to run to the store each time you need an item..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...