Gowing Up Is Hard To Do

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

This past weekend, I spent the day with my four cute little cousins. They range in age from 2 to 13. It was such a great time spending the day with them, but it really gave me a dose of reality: how OLD I really am! I love my cousins - they are the cutest girls ever. They each have their own unique style that I love, and at such a young age too (yes, the 2 year old has her own style as well!). But being out of the "kid zone" for so many years now really made me think: how am I going to be when I have my own kids? I always thought I will be the cool mom, the one that knows the lingo and what's in style. But with the advancing technology, kids are learning fast, and it seems like I (or we?) just can't keep up. And that is exhausting!

During my hangout with them, they were telling me stories, using terms I have never heard which resulted in me responding "the what?" (I think that was my response for everything); had my hair braided in the "fish tail" style - again another term I have never heard but is so beautiful; and were just so much energy that I see how much energy I really have - hardly any. Seven years of undergrad and grad school, year-long wedding planning, an 8-4 full-time job, learning the quirks of marriage, and workouts every night left me with little to no energy and no time for me. Meaning, I am getting older - Friday nights turned from hanging-out-till-3-in-the-morning into I'm-going-to-bed-and-it's-only-10, fibre and omega-3 rich foods are now my go-to foods, and I barely use Facebook for my personal life. And I don't even have kids! While this is unavoidable, I fear what I will be like when I do have kids. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I absolutely can't wait to have kids of my own (and in all honesty I would like 4 minimum). I just feel like kids are growing up way too fast and learning new things too fast that it leaves the parents disconnected from their children and tired of keeping up with the pace of society.This leaves parents exhausted, kids on an energy rush all the time, and me wondering what life will be like when I have my own rugrats! For those who are feeling like me, tell me that I'm not the only one! And for those that are supermom, please give me some inspiration! :)

2 comments:

  1. You aren't the only one! I feel the same way! I cannot get over the fact that I am the adult now and I am no longer the child. Having an almost four year old daughter is crazy to me! Life is speeding by so quickly and I can't believe it. We just have to remain positive and enjoy the moments we have.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I am happy to see I am not the only one! Yes life flies by fast, and true we do need to enjoy the moment that we have! Thanks! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...