What Would You Do?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Recently, I found myself in situations where my faith in people was tested, my acts were tested, and I felt like I was in a situation of the "What would you do?" TV show. I love the quote by Albert Pine "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." I'm sharing these moments with you to help inspire you to always be ready for the unexpected.

A couple weeks ago, my husband and I were in the mall and happened to sit at a bench that had a bag of newly-bought shoes next to them. We never noticed them until we placed our bags right next to this bag. We sat there for a few minutes and talked about whether we should bring them to the store they were bought or leave them where we found them. If the person realized they had lost them, they would probably come looking for them there. However, we finally made the decision to return them back to the store. What if we leave them where we found them and someone else comes along and decides to keep them. There are people who believe in "finders keepers." Which is why we decided to return them to the store. Luckily there was a receipt in the bag and the cashier said she will pull up the store receipt with the customer's name and try to track them down. I hope that person who lost their shoes is now happily wearing them!

On another occasion, I found a credit card at a food court. I don't know how I even saw, but it was lodged right between the seat and back support of the chair. I noticed this right after I grabbed my bags to leave. Yes, a credit card can be used if there is no PIN associated with it. But again, what if this credit card landed in the hands of evil-doers? This is an obvious one as to what I did - went to the customer service desk and dropped it off with them there.

What would you do if you receive a wrong number from someone asking to stop by the store and pick up something? Would you call them back and tell them they dialed the wrong number, or sit back and think it was a prank call? That is what happened to me this weekend. I received a call from an unknown number and decided to let it go to voice mail. The message left on my phone was "Ken, can you stop by the store and pick up a dozen eggs before you get home?" The voice sounded like that of an elderly lady. At first, I thought nothing of it. But then I thought - what if she lives out far from town; what if she was making cake for her grand kids and needed those eggs; what if?? Which is why I decided to dial the number back and inform her that she dialed the wrong number. She thanked me, but her tone was that of confusion as to why I would even call her back. Nowadays it is not so common to do nice things for others, especially calling them back if it was a wrong number.

The next story was one I witnessed at the mall a couple years back, and it truly brought tears to my eyes when I saw this. Good tears! Both me and my husband were sitting on the benches at the mall when we saw two visually impaired women walking with white canes, looking confused. A mother and her two kids stopped them, talked to them for a quick minute, and helped guide them to their point of destination. We see this all the time - people not asking for help but needing (or wanting) it. We get too caught up in our own lives or our own problems that we never stop and ask "how may I help you?" The fact that this mother stopped whatever might have been important to her at the moment to help these two ladies is the definition of good Samaritan. Plus a great example to her kids.

In short, I wanted to share these with you just because. We all need inspiration from time to time and hearing nice stories always helps. If you have a story please share! Have a happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...