How To Clean Stainless Steel Pots and Pans

Friday, February 8, 2013


I have a great stainless steel set of Cuisinart pots and pans. I love them, and have been using them for over three years. However, over time some pots and pans tend to get stains on the bottom. For example, my favourite small pot I use religiously is the same one I boil my water for tea, make my mashed potatoes in, and warm up any left over soup in. Over time, it takes a toll and my pot looks like this. Even after scrubbing with dish soap, nothing works (you can tell how much I was scrubbing by the lines on the bottom).

So this is the method that I have found works well, passed on from my parents, and is very easy to do. It will turn your pots into shining sensations again!

The first thing you need is dish washing powder detergent or another powdered cleaner. I don't have a dish washer, so I use my comet cleaner.

Sprinkle some of the cleaner (or powdered detergent) on the bottom of the pot.

Pour in some water (about 1/4 of a cup). Just enough to cover the bottom and if possible any sides of the pot.

Now, boil this for a few minutes (about 5). Just to allow the solution to cut through the stains. It might start bubbling and rising, sort of like milk. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't spill over.

Take it off the stove, and wipe with a sponge the stains. This should be easy to do, no scrubbing needed. If you find yourself needing to scrub hard, sprinkle more of the cleaner on, pour a bit more water, and allow it to boil for a little bit longer.

And there you have it! Clean and shiny pots in less than 10 minutes :)

Where I link up my posts!

12 comments:

  1. What a great tip!! I will have to give this a try.

    Visiting from the GYB hop!! Just became your newest reader.

    visit me at AboutBloggingTime http://fifiybr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Will come visit you too :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a wonderful tip! Thank you for hopping on board The Great Blog Train! -Marci, Angie and Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting ladies!

      Delete
  3. Oh how I LOVE simple tips like this! Thanks a million for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Please come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Next time, try to link up a recipe since that is our theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! I will focus on recipes :)

      Delete
  5. Barkeeper's Friend and Cameo Stainless steel cleaner (Cameo is fav) have kept my Townecraft stainless cookware clean and shiny for over 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip...i'll look into those cleaners. Never heard of them. Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, I love it! Thanks for sharing at last weekend's link party @The Weekend re-Treat

    Hope to see you again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! I just wrote a very similar one because my chai (tea) pots get really dirty as well. It seems like we all learn this trick from our moms / grandmoms. :)

    http://www.recipris.com/2014/09/14/how-to-clean-stainless-steel-pot/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...