Homemade Tomato Soup

Monday, January 14, 2013

Hello all! Hope you had a great weekend! I went shopping for some veggies at the local farmer's market this weekend. I ended up buying some celery, carrots, bell peppers, and onions. When I came home and saw the beautiful colours of the veggies I was so inspired to make some minestrone soup for this week. And that is what I plan to do! With so many flu's and colds going around I wanted to make sure to get some vitamins into both of our systems so we won't come home sick. And what is better than a bowl filled with some fresh homemade minestrone soup. I will share the recipe with you later on this week.

Today I am sharing a homemade tomato soup recipe that is sure to please your tummy, warm you up inside, and help boost your cold-fighting defenses with some vitamin C packed in a bowl. Enjoy!


Tomato Soup
Prep time: 20 min        Cook Time: 20 min           Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
- 1 284mL can tomato soup (I used Campbell's low sodium soup)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice (if you don't have any tomato juice you can use 1 cup water instead)
- 1/2 cup rice, rinsed well and uncooked

- 1 stick celery (you can either cut into small chunks or leave whole. It adds nice flavour to the soup)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a pot on medium heat, cook tomato soup, tomato juice, and rice covered. Half-way through the cooking add the celery. Cook until rice is done, about 15 minutes.
2. In a small frying pan, add the oil and flour. Mix to combine. This is your thickening agent. Add this to the soup to make it thicker. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Print Friendly and PDF



Where I link up my posts!

6 comments:

  1. New follower, love the blog! I am not inspired to try a new soup recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have said now* inspired! Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ok! I thought maybe the recipe was too much work..:) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. looks beautiful and tasty! Thanks for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...