Linzer Pinwheel Cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes Total Time: 1.5 hours Yield: About 60-65 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or fresh lemon peel)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups raspberry jam
1. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add in sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon juice until combined. Start adding flour in three additions.
2. Divide dough into two even balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or freeze for 20 minutes. When ready to roll, let dough stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll out.
3. Between two waxed papers, roll out one dough ball to approximately 12 x 10-inch rectangle at 1/4-inch thickness. Spread half of the jam evenly onto the rectangle.Starting at the long side, roll up dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 15 minutes, until firm enough to cut. Repeat the same with the other half of the dough (or you can freeze it for future cookie times!). Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch thickness. To avoid flattening the round cookies, continuously rotate the rolled up dough as you cut. If the dough becomes too soft place back into the fridge until firm, about 10 minutes. Place cut side down on parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Bake cookies in center of oven until edges are golden, about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack to cool completely.
Where I link up my posts!