Cinnamon Apple Cake

Thursday, November 1, 2012

So now that Hallowe'en is officially done, I can now start focusing on the holiday baking (yay!). I have begun, well...sort of. I was busy baking this week, making all sorts of new things that I have never made before. Which is why I wanted to give you two recipes this week instead of my usual one recipe per week. I have collected so many pictures from different dishes and dessert I made that I think I will start posting recipes more often.

This one recipe is of my favourite apple cake that I love to make during the fall season. Apples were on sale these past few weeks, so I bought a bag and made these. I absolutely love apples and cinnamon, and when paired together with a simple cake mixture, the results are tremendous. Enjoy and see you back tomorrow for another recipe!


Cinnamon Apple Cake
Prep time: 10 min        Cook Time: 70 min           Yield: 12-16 servings

Ingredients
Cake
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract

Apple Filling
- 5-6 large tart apples (such as McIntosh, Granny Smith), peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch cake pan.
2. Combine first four dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, apple juice and vanilla. Add dry ingredients in three additions, beating each time. At the final addition, beat batter until smooth. Batter will be smooth and sticky. Don't worry - you don't need to add any more juice or oil. The batter should stick to your whisk.
3. To make the apple filling, toss together shredded apples, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. (I tend to make this first before I even start on the batter, a type of marinade for the apples. This is when the juices are extracted from the apple and combine well with the sugar and cinnamon.)
4. To assemble your cake, pour and spread 1/3 of the batter in the prepared pan. The batter will most likely stick to your spatula, so I use my hands to spread evenly. Cover with half of the apple filling. Spread another 1/3 of the batter. Cover with the remainder of the apples. Top with the last 1/3 of the batter. If you have any juice left at the bottom of your bowl from the apple mixture, pour over-top of the cake. This will add more moisture and juice to the cake when it is baking, as a lot of the moisture will escape.
5. Bake in centre of oven for 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool in the pan until completely cooled. Dust with icing sugar when serving.

Print Friendly and PDF


Linking up to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...