DIY Envelope Pillows

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A couple weeks ago, I was looking at how boring the couch and love seat in the living room was. Something was missing. Colour? Possibly. A refresher? Maybe. Then it hit me. It looked so plain and boring because there were no pillows! In my opinion, pillows add richness and softness to any couch, bed or sitting area. Not to mention the endless possibilities of colour, patterns and sizes that they come in. So I was eager to find the perfect pillows. Needless to say, I was unable to find the "right" ones for the space - pillows that match the theme of the room, tie in with the theme from the family room in the basement, and that were a fairly decent price. Everything nice was priced at over $20, more than what I was looking for. So I took a trip to my local fabric store to find the right fabric I had in mind. And what a success it was!
Instead of cutting the fabric into two or three pieces, as some tutorials suggested, I stuck with one piece. This will allow you to create an envelope-back pillow covers. It is easy, simple, and allows you to switch between different covers fairly quickly.

Envelope Pillows
1. Start off with your fabric inside out. Measure out the width of the fabric to be that of your pillow size, adding one inch to either sides of the pillow (I used 14" width to make a 12" pillow), and the length to be double of the pillow size with an addition of 6" (for a 12" pillow, you need 30" length). This will allow you a 4" overlap for the back of the envelope and approximately 1" of fabric to hem the ends (depending how thick you want them to be. I chose to have a wider hem because my fabric was a bit longer).

2. Mark the thickness of your hem and secure with straight pins. Hem the ends of the fabric using a zig-zag pattern to enclose the ends.
3. Using the straight pins again, secure the edges on the long-side of the fabric. This will enclose the pillow case. Sew along the pins to close off the sides. Turn your pillowcase right-side out. Stuff your pillow with stuffing through the open flaps in the back. Since I had older pillows already, I used the stuffing from that to stuff my pillows.
The pillows really suit the room, adding a cozy feeling to the boring-looking couches. Plus a splash of colour doesn't hurt! Yes the picture sucks to show the true colour of the pillows. I took it in the evening when it was getting dark.



Do you make your own pillow covers for your living spaces?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...